Before purchasing diamond you should have the basic knowledge which will help you unlock the mystery of a diamond’s quality and will also assist you to understand diamond's price and value. These properties which should be kept in mind is collectively called “4 C’s of diamond”.
• Diamond color: In most diamonds, it refers to the absence of color. It is generally seen that the less the color the more valuable and desirable it is considered to be. Sometimes these differences are not visible to the naked eye but it definitely has an impact on the overall quality and price of the stone.
- Diamond D, E, F cannot be compared with each other through naked eyes. The only a gemologist can find a difference.
- Diamond G-j are suitable for white gold or platinum setting as it contains some traces of color in it.
Beginning with diamond K there's a ting of yellow color which can be easily identified by naked eyes.
- Diamond N-R contains a yellow or brown tinge of color which is easily traceable and is less expensive with higher grades.
S-Z diamond contains too much color for a normal white diamond.
• Diamond clarity: It generally measures the amount. Even the size and placement of internal and external inclusions and blemishes respectively. Grades run from “flawless” to “included” with no visual imperfection but contain some significant number of imperfections.
- Diamond Clarity Scale
- FL -Flawless -Under 10x magnification no inclusions or blemishes are visible.
- IF - internally flawless -under 10x magnification, only blemishes have noticed no inclusions.
- VVS1, VVS2 -very, very slightly included – under 10x magnification inclusions are difficult to address.
- VS1 VS2- very slightly included- under 10x magnification inclusions are clearly visible and noticeable.
- SI1, SI2- slightly included- under 10x magnification inclusions are noticeable.
- I1, I2, I3 – included- under 10x magnification inclusions are obvious and can affect the transparency and brilliance.
• Diamond cut: Though the word is diamond cut this term does not refer to the shape of the diamond but to the positions and facets and the quality. The amount of sparkle, brilliance is determined by the amount of cut in a diamond.
- Round Diamonds
Among all the diamond shapes round cut diamond is the most popular which represents 75% of all the diamond sold. Round cut diamond is generally superior to all the other fancy shapes due to the mechanics of its shape. It has got the maximum potential brightness.
- Oval Diamonds
oval diamonds being a modified brilliant cut (like all virtually round cut the two diamond shapes possess the same fire and brilliance in it. Oval shaped diamond is a good choice in the sense that due to its elongated shape it gives an illusion of a greater size.
- Princess Cut Diamonds
First created in the 1980s, the princess cut diamonds are the most popular among the fancy shapes available, especially for making engagement rings. In all round cut diamond, the princess cut diamond is a good choice as its flexibility helps any jeweler to put these in ant style of ring.
Heart Shaped Diamonds
These are the most brilliant cut shaped diamond which signifies love and purity and is popularly used in making solitaire pendants and rings. These are the unique and beautiful shape. But heart shape diamond below 50 carat is not a good choice as heart shape is tougher to perceive in smaller diamonds.
Asscher Cut Diamonds
The Asscher cut diamond was first introduced in 1902 by the Asscher brother of Holland. These are similar to the emerald cut but are square in shape with big facets and smaller tables with a high crown. The Asscher cut diamond combination produces more brilliance than emerald cut.
Emerald Cut Diamonds
Due to its step cuts of its pavilion and large open table the shape of the emerald diamond is considered to be unique. Rather than the sparkle of the brilliance cut, it produces a hall of mirror effects, due to the interplay of light and dark planes.
Radiant Cut Diamonds
First rectangular shaped diamond having a complete brilliant cut facet which is applied to both crown and pavilion. Thus creating a lively and vibrant diamond. It created a nice bridge between the princess cut diamond and cushion cut. These look beautiful when set with both round and square concerned diamonds.
- Cushion Cut Diamonds
A combination of square cut with round corners is the cushion cut diamond much like a pillow. Thi classic shape came to existence almost before 200 years. Constant upgradation is taking place and hence it has become nowadays.
- Pear Cut DiamondS
These are brilliant cut diamond shaped which is a combination of both the marquise shape and round shape, tapered at one end.it is generally seen that pear-shaped diamond possess very good symmetry. The line should be lining up with the apex of the rounded end. The shoulders and wings should form symmetric curves.
- Marquise Cut Diamonds
This is football-shaped diamond which is long and narrow and due to this property it creates an illusion of bigger size. Among all the diamond shapes, it creates the largest surface areas.
• Diamond carat: It refers o the weight of the diamond. The higher the carat weight the more expensive the stone will be.
Therefore the 4C’s diamond provides you with the information which you need to know before buying diamond or designer diamond jewelry. Rather than hopping from one shop to another one definitely has the option to buy diamond jewelry online. One can find an alluring collection of designer diamond jewelry online at an affordable price with easy payment options and home delivery too. Now you can buy diamond jewelry online from your home or from your favorite place at their convenient time.